Sunday, June 17, 2018

Fathers Day 2018


In this, my 66th trip around the sun, I took time this Father’s Day to reflect a little. I thought back to my own father and how badly I missed him. I remembered how many times he gave to others, although we hardly had anything of our own. That was just his nature. He put others first, helping whenever someone needed it. He didn’t wait to be asked, because back then you didn’t ask for help; people then were too proud, too independent. But, somehow, he knew! And he did what needed to be done.

And back then, people actually respected the police for what they did. That sounds strange in the present day, because the media insists on showing all the bad things to do with the police, and never share the good ones. Show when an officer has to use the force necessary to subdue a miscreant? Sure!! Share when an officer saves a person from a burning car? Or goes into a burning building to save a child?? Post video of one playing with neighborhood kids or giving a homeless person money for a meal??? Of course not!!!!!

Anyway, he was my idea of a great man; an all-around great guy. He could be as tough as nails, sweet as pie and as funny as any comedian. He was a consummate practical joker, and his favorite targets were his fellow officers. But, friends and family were definitely not immune. I thought a lot about some of those officers today also, thanks to friends on Facebook. Bob Edmunds, Paul Jacobsen, Rollie Woodruff, Roger LaPage. I knew most of the officers on the force back then, and they knew me.

In my childhood I used to walk the 3 miles downtown to go to a movie in order to save the 10-cent bus ride and do the same on the return trip. I can’t recall how many times I was going to or from a movie when a patrol car would pull up and one of the officers would yell at me, asking if I wanted a ride home. I bet there are 147 rules against such conduct now. But, that was a kinder, gentler time and my father was a kind, gentle man who could rise to any occasion the job put in front of him.

These reminiscences brought to mind my own job as a father. My boys both called and wished me happy Father’s Day of course. My youngest son had his wife and daughters in the vehicle and they all yelled to let me know they wished me well. Shortly after that, my other daughter-in-law called to let me know she was dropping off a banana cream pie; my FAVORITE!!! The youngest brought supper over so we could spend time together. Later that afternoon my oldest boy child called, wishing me happy Father’s Day, and telling me thank you for all I’d done. Odd but I don’t recall doing much for either of my sons, or their families. Linda and I have helped them both from time to time of course, with whatever they needed. But, isn’t that what parents are for? Or am I living in the past and going by old-fashioned morals? Those morals have held me in good stead for 66 years, and I have no intention of changing now. I learned those at my father’s side and I trust that they are good today and forever.

Speaking of sons, those 2 big galoots of mine seem to have learned a thing or 3 from me. At least from time to time. Are they perfect? Hell no!!! Would I want them to be? Hell no!!! Do they do things that drive me berserk? Hell YES!!! Am I pleased with the men they’ve grown to be? You’d better believe it.

I think it’s only human nature to wonder if we are the people that we really want to be. We want to be better than our parents, whether or not that’s possible; and I’m not 100 percent positive that is possible in my case. We want to be better husbands or wives, better parents, better people period. It’s only human nature! But, since we are human, we probably can’t succeed; and I can live with that.

To my father, your father, my sons, your sons and every other father in the world, Happy Father’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment