Sunday, March 18, 2018

Our newest sprint car driver

Another week, another driver who will be racing an IMCA legal race car this coming season for the first time. 14-year old Trey Gropp is, as the last couple of interviewees were, no stranger to racing.
"My dad raced a little bit when he was younger. He raced Late Models, modifieds, trucks, dwarf cars, stock cars and all that good stuff. I started in a cage kart at Mini-E Speedway and another track in 2007. So, that's 10 years for me".
Deciding to forego a sport compact, hobby stock or even a modified, he decided to jump into IMCA racing with both feet by competing in a Racesaver IMCA Sprint Car. "It's been a dream of mine ever since I was little. I moved from cage karts to a micro-sprint, and just decided to go to a sprint car now. I've never raced a sprint yet. I hot-lapped Stu Snyder's sprint one time, and I can't thank him enough for the opportunity. Stu even said he was proud of me for turning sa faster lap then he did".
I asked if he was looking forward to racing at Eagle, Trey said "Oh yeah; I can't wait! I'm going in there with basically no expectations and just going to see how we can do".

I asked what he hoped to accomplish in his first year in the sprinter. "I hope that we can learn a lot and that it makes me a better driver, racing against all of the great drivers out at Eagle. I think we'll run for points at Eagle Raceway this season and see how we can do. Then we might try to travel a little bit".
He wanted to be sure to thank everyone that has helped in this new adventure. "I need to say thank you to my Grandma and Grandpa Kruse, my Mom and Dad. All of the sponsors who made it possible for me to get the car ready for the track every week too. There's Mason Racin', Ron Fox, Kiss Cars, Hot Kote 751, East 'O' Storage, Nature's Variety, Spanel Racing Engines, J.J.N.J, Sardeson Racing, Keizer Wheels, Rosy's Raceland, Walker Performance Air Filters, King Racing Products, BR Motorsports, Harris Decals and Hilites Salon. Also Keith Hightshoe and Brandon Hightshoe from Hightshoe Racing helped out a lot".
In closing Trey wanted to let everyone know that "We'll have a young kid coming to Eagle every once in awhile from Missouri who has CHD. His name is Evan and he's just 5 years old. He'll be there in the stands rooting for us".
In this his 11th season of racing, he has a large task ahead of him, but with all of the time he's spent in the seat of a race car, I think this young man has a great future awaiting him as he starts this new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment